Monday, December 8, 2008

Gates Of Winter

Well, winter's here. It snowed over the weekend, and now the temperature is hanging steady around 25 degrees Fahrenheit. Mocking me.

I mean, is it too cold to ride? I guess not. But ever since I passed 30 (and lapped it), riding in sub-freezing weather has just gotten harder to deal with, Muscles don't respond well, and riding off a six-inch curb feels like riding off a six-foot loading dock. Old bones. Plus, I don't do gloves. So barring a thaw, I'm in hibernation mode. My bike is up on metaphorical blocks. (Although there's a really tall curb around the corner from my parents's house that has an appointment with my Holmes's Sprocket Pocket.)

It's a quiet time for the industry as well, so it seems. Even the Ratchet hub, anticipated like few other products in recent memory, arrived somewhat quietly. Perhaps it's the downturn, perhaps it's the weather, or maybe people are buying them by the dozen and I just don't know about it. And I suppose I won't find out by compulsively refreshing Lance Armstrong's Twitter feed or updating mine. (Seems like BMX has been slow to embrace Twittering—other than Profile and UGP, there doesn't seem to be much of a presence. Come on, companies based in states other than Florida!)

If it seems like I'm rambling pointlessly, that's probably because I am. I struck out on BMXfeed, used most of the new Dan's stuff in Friday's quiz. And it's Monday. I've never been good with Mondays. I also had to post a huge recap of yesterday's Knicks/Pistons game over on SLAMonline. So that's enough writing for one day, perhaps.

•••••••••••••

Holy crap, Merriam-Webster's BMX illustration:


Jay Miron?

••••••••••••••

Just in case you don't click on links, I can't post this video enough. Best BMX video ever?




••••••••••••••


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coming in 2009: The Alienation RPG Pocket Sprocket. It's pretty much just like the Havok, but their ad is shorter and it's only for 25t sprockets. And it's made in China, not USA. Vic Murphy not included.

Anonymous said...

i used to hate this blog until i started readin it aloud picturing you with a gay man's lisp

Anonymous said...

newest SPRFLS shirt (not that any of the others ever existed):

ANONYMOUS IS HOMOPHOBIC

Anonymous said...

that sprocket pocket ad is great

Anonymous said...

MIKE AITKEN

bobby p said...

jay miron does godly look backs into his front foot on a vert ramp. that makes him a man.

Anonymous said...

I see by the label that you watched anchorman lastnight too. Man before lastnight I hadn't seen that movie in a while. I almost forgot how funny it is
Ron Burgundy is my hero

Anonymous said...

i feel bad for you mr. SPRFLS, over here in australia it's so nice right now

Stephen said...

i too, watched anchorman last night.

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure you've used that song already Russ. C'mon...

Chris Cochran said...

what ever happened to square one?

wade said...

I too watched Anchorman last night, and called two people "smelly pirate hooker" today.
"...didn't know what to name it."
"I'm sorry, Champ: I think I ate your chocolate squirrel."
That DB / Havok ad made me feel warm. BMX was so fun and simple right about then.
I'm building a 20" chrome-plated Kink Doyle frame right now. Reminds me of 1992. My last chrome frame was a Homeless Soul Bro. No wait: my USA Condor was chrome. Both had home-made sprocket pockets made out of deli cutting boards.

Anonymous said...

was that the fremont video?!

Anonymous said...

25 F? That's about -4 C. That's not cold at all...We usually get weather like that in early October. I've ridden in temperatures below -15C (5F). Maybe I'm more immune to the cold since I'm Canadian? I don't know, I can't complain since we've had a freakishly warm winter this year. I just want May to come so the snow will melt.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you've posted the Havoc ad on here before. But it still kicks ass none the less.

Russ said...

I've posted the Sprocket Pocket ad before, and I'll probably do it again.

Josh said...

I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Stephen said...

Okay, so I read the Slamonline article and I have to say...I really enjoyed it. I like that style of writing. I especially enjoyed the bits about Sheed. I am not a Pistons fan, but I do love some Mr. Wallace.

Would totally read again. Nicely done!

Unknown said...

Repo Man reference into an Anchorman reference? I suppose only time will tell what becomes of these Ferrel/Rogen/Other Chubby Curly Haired Goofy Dude movies but I imagine they will be the younger generation's caddyshacks and not cult movies.

Russ said...

The problem with Will Ferrell's movies is that they're all the same movie: "Hey Will, just be your wacky self as ('70s basketball player // news anchor // stock car driver // old frat boy). Make sure to scream a lot and come up with some bizarre non-sequitors. OK? Cool. Here's your check for $20 million."

I did like Anchorman, though.

Stephen: Thanks. Sheed is awesome. One of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

I noticed part-way through the Havoc Ad that Eddie Roman licks the Sprocket-Pocket and then throws it on the ground. I think you owe McGoo an apology, because it appears his 'testing' of the new SNAFU peg a while back does have some precedent.