Tuesday, December 2, 2008

All We Need Is Just A Little Patience

Man. I realized today that I went so long between updates that the G-Sport Ratchet hub AND Chinese Democracy were actually released. Talk about embarassing.

I'm actually listening to Chinese Democracy now, and even through my tiny laptop speakers, it's not half bad. I wouldn't go so far as Chuck Klosterman—I don't think it was worth waiting 15 years for—but then again I didn't grow up in North Dakota. Still, at least it finally gives some closure to the whole Guns N' Roses saga, and it's certainly a better album than Slash's Snakepit or whatever the heck Duff McKagan's solo record was called. You sort of have to respect a loony perfectionist like Axl Rose for releasing anything at all. (I found it interesting that Buckethead, the supremely talented and weird guitarist who appears on a few tracks, once released 28 albums in ONE YEAR. Philosophical differences, anyone?)

Anyway, when you put things into Chinese Democracy persepctive, it's like we didn't have to wait for the Ratchet at all. If I'm not mistaken, the Ratchet was first shown at Interbike 2007. Guns N' Roses started writing in 1994 for an album that wasn't released until 2008. I'm not sure what Interbike was like in 1994, but it's safe to say that anything shown there that hasn't been released yet won't be coming out. BMX was kind of different then. What was Odyssey making back then? Pitbull brakes and Gyros, I'd think.

Not sure about y'all, but I'm never complaining about a long wait again.

••••••••••••••••••••

The latest in "let's revive a terrible idea from the '80s?" This. Tioga marketed a product called the Crazy Chain back in the '80s which was more or less exactly the same, only weaker. Then again, it was lighter, so maybe seek out an original if you want your bike to look stupid. They also sold a 'matching' set of mismatched chainring bolts, which would probably be a big hit amongst the fixed-gear freestyler crowd.

••••••••••••••••••••

CORRECTION: A few posts ago, I said something about Inopia being "doomed from the start." Apparently Inopia is not dead, only hibernating. Thanks for the heads up, George.

••••••••••••••••••••

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Crazy chain a terrible idea are you kidding me? You know how awesome this is for my bicycle built for two my boyfriend and I ride around the Castro?!

Anonymous said...

uh yeah, leave the homophobia for the come up, beau.

bk said...

no one wants inopia back.

Anonymous said...

blog sucks now
washed up...

Anonymous said...

I've gotta admit I like the crazy chain, but only for nostalgia's sake. Funny--I never rode one bitd. I did ride a lavender and white Fly Pantera 2 not too long ago, though, so I'm safely in touch with my girly side.

When will the 4 piece floodgates reopen? I'm assuming since Fit's 4 pc are coming out, the trend-hoppers will be all over it. I can't seem to find anyone stateside that sells Federal's 20/20 4 pc. And will Odyssey ever market Lumb4jacks?

Anonymous said...

Duncan dirt skatepark off of Neil?

Russ said...

Anonymous 7:19 is hating. Dude, give me a little time to get my groove back.

I assume the Federal four-piecers aren't stocked because they're so bloody expensive on this side of the pond. You can't really find the WTP four-piece bars either. I'm curious whether the Fit four-piece will lead to S&M four-piece (SL4M Bars?), and whether FBM will try again.

Anonymous said...

ono I'm late!

meow

^o,o^

OK all is well now

Anonymous said...

I've been sporting some fucked up old EBCO four-piece bars on my unused bike for almost three months. Does that mean I'm cool now, even though I pretty much don't ride?

Anonymous said...

i have a set of maddogs in the closet.

Anonymous said...

chase hawk part from the first empire video

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh said...

I'm curious to see if FBM will do another 4-piece again as well Russ.
A bunch of posts ago I talked about how I had emailed the guys at FBM to see if they had any leftover dinner-box bars or the ability to make them and was told that "they still had the jig but none of the tubing left." Sounded a little funny to me, but whatever.
A month or so later on the FBM site in a post documenting their trip to Taiwan, I catch a picture of a pallet full of boxes of the new Belmar and Big Ape handlebars ready to be shipped stateside. Apparently, FBM like making their completes so much in Taiwan that they are also now making their handlebars there.
Looks like I'm going to have to have my "FBM: Handmade in New York" t-shirt reprinted to say "FBM: Handmade in New York...as long as you don't mean our completes...or our handlebars...pretty much just our frames...for now."

Anonymous said...

I must say, even though I wanted so long for your newest two posts, it felt good to read it again. Don't leave me again, Russ. Please don't leave me again.

Does Axl Rose still have 'dreads'? I remeber him looking a lot like Alicya Keys(sp?).

bk said...

the only FBM bars ever made in-house were the 4-pieces. the other stuff was outsourced.

Russ said...

I bought a pair of Old 76 bars a long time ago just because they were more or less Vic's signature bars. I never ended up using them, and sold them on eBay for something like $12. Go me.

Anonymous said...

bcukethead is a genius. just watch a live versions of nottingham lace, where he improvs every perormance so no two performances are the same, but you instantly recognise it as that track

thing is when its good, its some of the best, problem is theres alot of weird crap/musical technical masturbation to sift through

Anonymous said...

I think it's funny that so many people only equate the 80's BMX with crazy colors. By the time I showed up on the scene in 1988, EVERYONE was running either chrome or black bikes and parts. GT chrome PFST + Haro Kneesavers in black and chrome, + black RL tires, Super Pros, steel GT pegs, GT mallet stem, black gyro, ODI sig grips.....the crazy color thing was done by 1986-'87. The recession hit and then everyone decided that it was better to have components colored so they actually matched mostly everything. Just like what I predict will happen here soon....

Unknown said...

@DBZ - I have a pair of those Ebco rocker bars too, they were great although essentially just Castillos with more sweep. I do like the Fits though, never really liked the look of the GT/bob bars. Now that 4 piece is in though, the real question is 1" strip bars?? Or revolutionary: 3/4" TUBING BARS???!!! LITE!

Russ said...

Empire (or Albe's, I'm sure) could get the WTPs for you. I briefly looked into it before I realized I'd probably just get another set of Bobs.

Anonymous said...

What is the big deal about the ratchyet?

G.S.GUCCILIFE said...

True,whats the deal with the ratchet?whats so good about it?

Anonymous said...

I confess: I ran a Tioga Crazy Chain back in 1990, when it was already unfashionable. The paint may have lasted an afternoon, I don't remember. I assure you that it complimented my ACS 45 slant stem and my green '87 Haro Master frame.

Haven't heard the new Guns N' Roses yet (or listened to anything of theirs in a while), but they'll always hold a special place in my heart. I'll have to check it out.