Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Situation Normal, All Fucked Up

After a holiday weekend where I posted not once, but TWICE, I don't think I should have to work that hard today. Maybe that's the kind of lazy attitude that's destroying this country, but you know what? I don't care.

So instead of reading my drivel, head over to Snafu and read their 10th anniversary blog entry. If you can figure out what the hell it is McGoo is going on about, let me know. "We keep doing our thing, even when that thing isn’t the trendiest or most popular." That's for sure. I don't think I know anyone with a Snafu part. OK, I do know one dude who runs a Mobius. But that's it, though. And considering their new stuff, like their seats:


I'm not sure if that's gonna change any time soon. Is there some kind of contest going on to see which company can make the ugliest seat? Will there be an award presentation at Interbike? There has to be a reason behind all this.

(A few other suggestions for the new Snafu: spell your rider's names correctly, particularly when they're in big purple type, and you may want to give bar specs other than 'medium' and 'tall'. And just the thought of a 26" Rim Job—blech.)

••••••••••••••••••••

Why do shops insist on building up bikes that would make even Stevie Wonder squint?


Maybe those Snafu seats'll catch on after all.

••••••••••••••••••••

The argument for "best BMX video not yet available on DVD" would be a long one. The video this is from might not be the ultimate winner, but it would sure as hell be in the conversation.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

nowhere fast.

end of discussion.

Anonymous said...

I run front and rear Snafu hubs that were given to me brand new for free. Haven't had a problem with either for the last 14-15 months, which is pretty good in my book. That being said, you never see any print on them (they have Mirra - arguably the most marketable and over-exposed name in bmx!! Why not capitalize?), and hardly any of their parts are stocked at bike shops or mailorders. Their parts seem decent and I can't remember them committing any great sin against anyone in the industry, I just wonder why they aren't more popular?

Anonymous said...

UGP Face Value, fuckin Taj mihelixjnncdjsh.

Anonymous said...

standard - domination, style cats
Trash - dirty deeds, nowhere fast
Scum - 1201, lights out
Anthem - home of the brave
UGP - face value
Ride - Role Models, Thunder.

These should all be on DVD, among others.

Mexican John said...

All of those should definitley have been put onto DVD way before now, where are they!!

I ran Snafu pedals once, i think they lasted about a month before one of them decided to come of its axle while i was riding home one day.

G.S.GUCCILIFE said...

Man,i sorta feel two of those seats.On other hands,anyone can help us,telling me,what brand are those tires on the multicolor bike?Also,i wonder what kind of fixed gear stuff they will bring to the table...

Anonymous said...

I run a Mobeus. If it had knarps it would be the best thing ever. I also have a Snafu ti/aluminum peg on the back that Kent Pearson gave me a while ago. I've had to rotate it a few times as the sleeve wore through, but I dig it because it's big enough (about 4.33 inches long) and sticky enough to allow for my shitty icepicks.

Anonymous said...

pretty sure those are Primo tires.

Anonymous said...

God help me, I like goofy seats.
There I've said it.
-Bill

Russ said...

Seats are the new pad sets. Or something like that.

Anonymous said...

i would soooo ride that bike
and those tires are primo walls G.S.GUCCILIFE

Anonymous said...

I kinda like those seats. There is no way one would go on my bike but they don't look too bad...

G.S.GUCCILIFE said...

Rich,TFA

thanx for the head up on the tires!
TFA,i need a 14 mm profile axle,can you help?

Anonymous said...

russ you need some new material, im getting sick of seeing every coloured pivotal on your blog, i dont care, i want something worth looking at

Loop said...

Dude, if they were worth looking at they wouldn't be superfluous.

We will probably have to wait until Interbike before thing get interesting again.

Anonymous said...

g.s.
got plenty of axles for you. send an e-mail (todd@albes.com) with specifics and we'll get it handled. you may even get Stephen's "dinner plate" discount.

Anonymous said...

That is most amazing bike I have ever seen built. Holy shit.

Russ said...

If companies are going to keep making obnoxious seats, I'm going to keep posting them. That's a campaign promise I plan to KEEP.

*pauses for applause*

I need new material? I'm only the messenger. If anyone needs new material, it's the companies that keep trying to cram allegedly new products down our throats. We need to take a stand and say "I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!"

*throws down mic, walks off stage*

G.S.GUCCILIFE said...

*GS looks at Russ,picks the mic and enters stage

Russ,gotta go against you this time.Well,they could make a seat a day,but nobody(supposedly) forces you/me/anybody to buy 'em.Ok,"marketing" is out there,and like any other sports/activity,there are "frequent buyers"(read in between lines)

*people nods,GS leaves the stage and pass the mic to TFA

Anonymous said...

*TFA gets stage fright and pisses himself