Friday, April 11, 2008

Little Things

Just a couple quick hits before the weekend. First, from the people who brought you the Punisher and the Soldier and Ojay Juarez, I give you this:

I suppose people are gonna run carbon headset spacers anyway, so Mutiny may as well offer their own (read: generic ones screenprinted with their logo), and maybe it's just some sort of a joke on the weight weenies, but you KNOW at least some people out there are stoked on this. So now you can run 8.25" rise bars with a topload stem and eight carbon spacers along with your slammed seat (so your bike looks something like this). I keep waiting for some company to produce a frame with an eight-inch tall headtube.

(On the topic of weight, what are the chances of bulimia catching on amongst BMXers? It's amazing that everyone wants to make their bike as light as possible but doesn't think about their own bodies. You can save WAY more weight by puking up your Burger King than you can by changing out your aluminum headset spacers for carbon ones. Heck, for that matter you could save more weight by taking a quarter out of your pocket. If you insist on taking the weight off the bike, take two pins out of your pedals. Oh, that's right, no one runs metal pedals anymore.)


The next product I actually like. It's a halflink made by Wipperman and sold by Superstar. I've never run a halflink myself, but if I did, I think I'd rather run a single halflink than an entire chain made of them. My problem isn't with the product itself, or even with the oh-so-Euro apres-ski product shot:


My problem is this: Superstar actually listed the WEIGHT of the halflink. Which would be .3 ounces, or eight grams. First of all, the only thing that BMXers need to be measuring in grams is cocaine. Secondly, what does it matter, really? Will anyone who uses this halflink be weighing the regular links they remove and calculating the total weight savings?

I'm surprised Dan's Comp hasn't started selling postal scales and calculators.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really like this idea, agree with everything you say, you might be glad to know I just switched out my Odyssey dirts with T-1 forks, 50 oz!!! Keep this up.

Stephen said...

The half link is pretty useful. I have one on my chain and it helps. But man, carbon fiber spacers...aluminum spacers are really that much heavier? I am stabbing myself with a plastic fork.

Anonymous said...

please keep this blog going, i read all in one sitting and ive laughed and agreed with most if not all.

bk said...

J&B importers sell digital scales. I think the most they can weigh is 2lbs.

Anonymous said...

This rules.

Anonymous said...

Don't let the angry people posting comments deter you in any way.

They clearly don't realize this is a blog, for which matters of importance to the blogger are discussed.

You do so with intelligence and make it very entertaining.

Rock on.

Anonymous said...

Besides the fact Byron Anderson got credit for the first shadow half link shit. Come on did you ever see the el jefe with chicago bars that dude rode. Design is not his forte

Boston George said...

im gonna actually have to say that the shadow chain was the best chain i've had...it actually broke less than the 415's 710's 510's and all those kmc ones i used to have to ride.

but fuck everything else in bmx.
anything that has a title before it sucks.

uncut slams.
slammed post.
stripped seat.
flush axles.


you get the deal.

Anonymous said...

can i have my 44t sharp hardcore and 420 chain back please?

Anonymous said...

maybe if you opened your eyes youd relise that most riders are still using metal pedals because very few people trust plastics the sooner you relise alot of the chaged to bmx are improments the better all you strike me as is another angry old man afraid of change