Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ghetto Fabulous

For as long as I've known about them, I've been a fan of BSD. You couldn't really get their products over here—what products there were—and I always fondly thought of them as sort of a Scottish FBM: a bunch of genial BMX drunks who spent their spare time riding trails and setting things on fire.

Well, like FBM, they've had to innovate or die. First there was the Forever frame, and now there are the "Ghetto Forks":



Here's part of the description:

"The Ghetto fork is full heat-treated, with tapered legs, integrated race, 7075 top cap, 35mm offset and a weight of 1.88lb."

Ghetto?

Huh. When I think of "ghetto forks," I think of a pair of messily spraypainted S&M Ditchforks with the 990 mounts hacksawed off. But maybe that's just me. Admittedly, though, we've reached the magical point in human history where sincerity and irony have met in a messy head-on collision. Face it, you have no idea whether that guy over there in the Slipknot t-shirt is wearing it because he likes Slipknot or because he doesn't like Slipknot. And you're not about to go over and ask him because, you know, he's wearing a Slipknot t-shirt.

Then again, ain't no one buying true "ghetto forks" these days anyway. If it's over two pounds, forget it.

•••••••••••

Hey Macneil, if you're going to do a "bike check," can you please list ALL the parts, not just the Macneil ones? Thanks.

21 comments:

Osato said...

I hate Macneil with a passion!

Anonymous said...

i never could figure out why people like slipknot. I mean why such a strong die-hard fan base? I feel like there are A LOT of much better, harder and not-so-mainstream bands to worship. bjork too. why do people worship her? she sucks.

Russ said...

Incidentally, I posted this from my ghetto laptop—a three-month old aluminum Macbook. EAST SIDE, WHAT.

wade said...

"But maybe that's just me. Admittedly, though, we've reached the magical point in human history where sincerity and irony have met in a messy head-on collision. Face it, you have no idea whether that guy over there in the Slipknot t-shirt is wearing it because he likes Slipknot or because he doesn't like Slipknot. And you're not about to go over and ask him because, you know, he's wearing a Slipknot t-shirt."

My favorite thing that you've written since the start of this blog.

trask said...

I was wondering when a post about those would pop up, but mainly because I was quite amused at how all the scariest forks out there seem to have such fitting names, ie: ghetto, shiv, blade, etc... hopefully some day people will give up on shaving a minuscule amount of grams and stop cutting holes in dropouts. I think the general comfort that comes with the aesthetics is well worth the extra weight.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least the wheel on that 'Mcneil' bike has 48 spokes.

Oh speaking of Ditchforks, I still run one, went through 3 frames. ONLY 3.5 pounds.
MAN UP BITCHES.

Word: sucti

Anonymous said...

Thank you Carnage!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, thats is actually the best name ever, and none of us knew it!


wv mangasp

t.f.a. said...

i love irony.

Anonymous said...

Anon 9:26:

What frame are you referring to that they ripped off?

Sunday! said...

I agree with Wade! The sincerity and irony collision sentences are some of the best written. Totally enjoyed this!

wade said...

"I agree with Wade!"
Well, that's ironic...
(big hug)

DBZ said...

GIT TA FOCK, YA COONT

Anonymous said...

wow, 2 scottish related posts in a row

Anonymous said...

Git tae fook ye boaby.

carnage said...

@Anon 7:20

Only one really, the other one had sweet fuck all to do with Scotland.

G.S.GUCCILIFE said...

Damn,vw is "pution" ,but i dont feel like hatin today......

Noel said...

Ditchforks: had 'em in 1" (back then they came with a dominatrix sticker) and later 1 1/8"...best forks I ever had.

Anonymous said...

what is "wv mangasp"? some nerd speak??

Anonymous said...

You are all a bunch of idiots. All
the parts on the bike are MacNeil that's why only MacNeil parts are listed. MacNeil is one of the sickest bike companies out there. I rode my old whitton frame forever.

Zombie Johnny said...

The bit about the Slipknot shirt was a fucking gas mate! Nice one!

Macneil blows bops.